Resignation Letter Template
Use our template to create a formal resignation letter.
Create a Document in 3 Easy Steps
1. Get Started
Choose Your Form or
Location to Begin
2. Answer Questions
Complete Your Document in Minutes
3. Download Document
Download and Print your PDF
Table of Contents
You can effectively resign from your job using a professional resignation letter. People leave jobs for an array of reasons, whether it be due to the offer of a new job or for personal reasons – you can depart the ‘right’ way by writing a letter of resignation.
Letters of resignation allow individuals to specify your notice period and the reasons for your departure.
When should I use a resignation letter?
Use resignation letters:
- When you are resigning to take up a new job
- When you are leaving due to personal reasons, such as wishing to spend more time with family
- When you wish to resign excluding problems related to work
What do resignation letters cover?
Letters of resignation include:
- The date of your resignation
- Full details regarding yourself and your employer
- The duration of time spent on the job
- The reasons for your departure (optional)
What are resignation letters?
Resignation letters are letters given to quit your job. These letters allow you to give your notice period, and the reasons for your resignation (if you want to).
Are resignation letters necessary?
Yes. You will need a resignation letter when you wish to resign your job, regardless of the reason of said resignation.
When should I hand in my letter of resignation?
The employment contract or offer letter given at the beginning of your job would have specified the necessary notice period. You must hand in your letter of resignation within this agreed-upon notice period.
If you can, it is also best to give this letter in person, so the date given is officially the date of receipt.
For more advice:
Ask a lawyer:
- If you are resigning due to problems at work such as discrimination or bullying
- If you are a shareholder or director in the company, you wish to resign from
- When you have are issues needing to be resolved prior to resignation